Basara Samurai Shodown
Fan Fiction
http://samuraispirits.net
--The website dedicated to all Samurai Spirits fans--~ver5.0~
GAME | FAN | DOWNLOAD | SITE | LINK | CHAT | MESSAGE BOARD

Begin the Nightmare
by Jung Yul




      If Nirvana existed, then truly he was already there. The sun was warm, the skies clear and the most beautiful blue he'd ever seen. The smells of the cherry blossoms immersed him in such delightful thoughts and remembrances from his youth that they might have made his head swim. Might have, that is, but for the fact that she was here with him. The scene around Kubikiri Basara was enough to make almost any man serene, and perhaps even giddy; however, as long as Kagaribi was here with him, all around him could have been chaos and destruction and it would make little difference to him. He gazed into her eyes for perhaps the hundredth time today, and, just like every other time, he felt his heart swell so that he was sure it would burst from his chest. How he loved her! Her most passive desire was his heart's utmost demand. There was nothing he wouldn't… "Basara?" "Y-Yes, Kagaribi?" Damn, even now, as long as he'd known her, he still couldn't keep from an occasional stutter when talking to her. She simply smiled that warm, loving smile that never failed to give him chills by the purity and unhidden love in the gesture. "What is it, my love?" she asked. "What do you mean? Is something wrong?" Basara replied, now brought slightly out of his reverie by the possibility that something could be upsetting her. "No, beloved, nothing wrong. I was only curious about why you looked at me that way." Inwardly he smiled. Deep down he was sure that she knew already the answer to her own question, but this was a little game that she so loved to play, and one of countless reasons that he loved her so much. Aside from that, if it made her happy, he'd play it as often as she'd like. "I look at you as I do because I must." Her expression changed to a mixture of curiosity and bemusement. "And why is that?" she asked, giggling slightly. "Because otherwise I could hardly believe you were real." Now her expression was completely confused, so Basara continued. "I love you so much, so completely, and you make me so unfalteringly happy, that I can scarce believe it's real." Dubiously she asked, "Do you doubt me?" Damn me for a fool! he cursed himself. Have I offended her?! "Never, my love! I would doubt my own thoughts, the rising of the sun before ever doubting you!" He gently took her hands in his own and looked into her eyes imploringly, almost apologetically. Inwardly it tore at her to see him in any form of anguish, but at the same time, it reminded her that the love she felt so powerfully for him truly was returned. She had to admit to herself that she had looked at him many times for many of the same reasons. "It's just that I love you so much, and you are so stunningly beautiful, I cannot help but to gaze at you." With the beginnings of a deep blush hot on her cheeks she asked, "The why do you look apprehensive at the same time?" "Because, my love, I'm also terrified." This troubled her, and she asked, "Why is that?" Basara drew a deep breath in an attempt to compose himself. This was perhaps the only real secret he'd kept from her. "I am terrified of ever losing you, my beloved. I don't know what I would do without you in my life. I want to be with you forever." Basara realized that he was trembling, and because he was holding Kagaribi's hands, surely she knew it as well. When he felt the courage to look into her eyes again, he saw that tears were streaming from them. Before he could begin to think on it, she gently pulled her hands from his, and tightly wrapped her arms around him, cradling his head against her breast. For his part, all Basara could do was wrap his arms around her waist, and cling to her as though his very life depended on it; the thunder that was her heartbeat racing in his ear, her hair falling and covering his arms and shoulders, and her whole body trembling. He could feel tears of his own well up and he welcomed them, as they were a sign of the happiness and joy he felt. "I love you, Kubikiri Basara. I love you more than anyone or anything in this world, more than life itself. Release this fear, my love, for you will never lose me." The tears were flowing free now from both their eyes as they held each other tightly, their happiness greater than ever in either of their lives. They sat and held each other until they both stopped trembling, and they held each other until the sun was setting. As the sun began to set, they reached to kiss each other as if they both thought of it at the exact moment, and when their lips met they could feel each other's love in the kiss. That was the last time Basara would ever remember being happy.

*

      It was midday, though the sky was dark. A thick shroud hung over a small village. Had one felt drops of rain, or heard the distant rumble of thunder, this might have seemed ordinary; however, the only thing heard was the fire burning the village to the ground and the cries of the dying as they lay in their own blood and entrails. The only thing felt was the heavy weight of death over the once thriving town. The darkness fell from the cloud of smoke that covered the town. The bodies lay strewn about as though toys tossed carelessly aside by some thoughtless child that was no longer interested in them; some cleaved cleanly in two. The buildings looked as dollhouses that had been attacked by an angry dog. The demon, Zankuro, stood in the midst of the carnage, chaos, and destruction; his nodachi sunk into the earth beside him. He admired his own handiwork, then threw back his head and began to laugh. This laughter was a truly evil sound, full of malice, dread, and a hatred of all things beautiful and just. He laughed at the cries of the dying. He laughed at the pleas for mercy or help. But most of all, he laughed at the lives he had destroyed. It pleased him deeply that none of these people would know happiness or joy again, for all the souls that he claimed were forever kept in a realm of eternal suffering and torment. It was from the pain of these souls that Zankuro drew his immense power, and it was desire for more such power that he continued to maim, kill, rape, and destroy, for the more horrible his victims died, the more suffering for him to draw his unholy strength from. He grasped the handle of his nodachi and wrenched it free from the earth. The ground itself seemed to sigh a kind of relief to be rid of such a horrible weapon. The seven foot long blade was highly polished, but almost as if an illusion, there seemed to be a slightly red tint to it. Almost as though it were the ghostly image of all the blood that had ever coated it. Zankuro held his blade tight in his hand and started walking out of the town. Little did he himself know, but Zankuro was heading toward the town in which Kubikiri Basara lived with his wife, Kagaribi. Even less did Zankuro know, but he would be instrumental in the beginning of Basara's destiny.

*

      Basara heard someone approaching through the woods, which really wasn't terribly odd. It was the sense of foreboding that he felt that made him uneasy. Kagaribi felt the change in him and asked, "What is the matter, love?" "I'm not sure, but something feels wrong suddenly." She couldn't place it, but there was something in the sound of his voice that Kagaribi did not like. As though an irrational fear had taken hold of his heart and wouldn't let him go. For his part, Basara was a little more than just uneasy; he truly was worried… perhaps even a little scared… for both of them. Somehow he knew that someone… or something was approaching, and their intentions were not benign. He realized that he was taking a defensive stance, and he also realized that he was beginning to scare Kagaribi. She had already asked him what was wrong a few times, but he couldn't quite find the words to explain what he felt to her. He could hardly explain it to himself, in fact. There was no rational explanation for how he felt, but he could not dismiss it, either. He started to weigh the option of taking Kagaribi home, but then, how could he explain it to her? She was enjoying herself as the evening was cool and enjoyable, the moon was high, the stars were bright, and she was beautiful, but then, she always was. He was just about to dismiss the idea of going home, when a tree on the opposite end of the clearing suddenly came crashing down, and what Basara saw froze him in place. He had heard stories that he had always thought were intended to frighten children to their beds early… stories of a demon whose monstrous deeds were both obscene and bizarre. He had always believed them to be a kind of twisted fairy tale, but instantly he knew that he was looking directly into the eyes of the demon Zankuro. For a moment the monster just stood and regarded them both; almost like an amused adult looking at two children who were playing dress up. "What have we here?" the demon-thing asked with the slightest hint of a grin. "A pitiful boy and his whore?" The insult to himself, Basara could have let pass, but the hateful words about Kagaribi snapped him out of his fear, and stirred the very beginnings of anger in him. "Take back your words, snake!" Kagaribi clutched at him to attempt to calm him for fear that he might anger this creature. "Oh, so you've got a little fight in you, have you? Very good, perhaps you would like to use some of it now." He raised his sword slowly, yet menacingly, and started to chortle at Basara. "I do not fight without just cause!" he spat back. "Really? Then allow me to provide you with one." Basara knew what he meant a moment before it happened. He saw Zankuro gesture towards them, and had only enough time to turn round to see Kagaribi fly back into a tree. He clutched wildly, but grasped only air. Basara heard a sickening crunch come from her body as she made impact, and now the only thing he felt aside from the purest of rage, was the barest hope that she could have somehow survived the impact. He spun back to face Zankuro and howled in rage as he charged. Zankuro simply stood there as Basara charged. Basara hadn't even realized that Zankuro had moved until he had been hit. He felt the impact cleanly on the right side of his face, and he then saw that Zankuro had swatted him with the end of his sword. Sprawling to the ground, he was about to check to see how badly he'd been cut, when he realized that Zankuro had used the flat of his sword. Mercy? Basara dubiously thought. No, he's toying with me, nothing more. He glanced briefly at Kagaribi, and could make out some movement, so he was at least partially reassured that she was alive. He got back to his feet, and prepared to attack again. "You fight still? Impressive. Perhaps you are not as pitiful as I thought, but you still must realize that you have no chance of defeating me." At this, Zankuro bellowed with laughter. My love may lie dying, and this monster laughs. By the Spirits, I will put a stop to him! He charged again, but this time a bit more mindful of the nodachi. Once more it swung its arc towards him, but this time it came for his ribs. While he saw its approach, he could not respond in time, and he was flung into a nearby tree. "Coward! Must you hide behind that weapon?!" Zankuro simply smiled menacingly. "Your whore may be dying and you fling insults? You are more foolish than I thought." His fury renewed, Basara flung himself at Zankuro. This time, however, he saw the blade's arc and anticipated it properly. He leapt cleanly over it, and given his momentum, managed to land a kick square into a surprised Zankuro's chest. The strike, however, had seemingly no effect. It's like kicking solid steel! How can I possibly defeat such a creature? Especially unarmed?! "Baassssaarrrrraaaaaa…" Kagaribi's voice floating weakly to his ears was enough answer for him. He would find a way to protect her from this demon if it killed him. "So, you can handle yourself. Maybe I won't be as disappointed as I had thought. Still, I can't spend all my time destroying you." Basara charged in one final time, but this time Zankuro was more than ready for him. He thrust out his blade and ran Basara through at the waist. The weapon was like pure fire in his flesh. It felt as though his very soul were being pulled into the blade. Zankuro wrenched his nodachi back, and Basara collapsed to a heap on the ground. "Your wound is not instantly fatal, boy. Yours will be a slow death of bleeding." "W-why are you afraid to f-fight me, c-coward? Put down your weapon, and fight me like a m-man." Basara hissed through clenched teeth. "Like a man, you say? Perhaps I should show your whore how like a man I can be." With that, he started toward Kagaribi, sinking his immense sword into the ground. When he reached her, he tore at her clothing, and proceeded to rape her savagely. All the while, Basara was a seething pit of anger and fury. He couldn't move to help her, and he cursed himself for not being able to protect her. For her own part, Kagaribi didn't even have the strength left to struggle against the demon. All she could do was hope that Basara might survive the ordeal. When Zankuro had finished with her, he took his blade back in his hand, and pierced her heart. Kagaribi died with a barely audible choke of pain, and a sigh that was her last breath. Her last gesture of life was an outstretched hand reaching for Basara. Zankuro turned back to Basara, walked over to him, and whispered into his ear. "And now, I shall leave you to look upon the body of your precious little whore as you die. Know that you failed her by not protecting her, and also know that you will never see her in Nirvana, for her soul is mine, as yours soon will be." "Cowardly b-bastard… I'll… find a… a way to… to kill you yet!" Basara managed to spit out. "Not likely, boy." Zankuro responded with a bemused smile. With that, Zankuro turned and walked back into the forest…

*

      Kubikiri Basara, dying on the forest floor, lay staring at the body of his beloved Kagaribi. His self-hatred surpassed only by his hatred of Zankuro. I should've protected her… why couldn't I protect her? She trusted me, and I failed her. I was not worthy of her… Basara suddenly realized that he was no longer in the forest. He was still lying on something, but all around him was darkness. Kagaribi's lifeless form still lay where it was, hand still outstretched, but that was all he could see. So, this is to be my torment?! Am I to see my failure for all eternity, unable to change it, or to even move?!?! Basara could imagine no greater pain in all his existence. He had watched helplessly as Kagaribi was brutally raped, and then murdered. He longed for an end to everything, and perhaps it truly had come, but then he heard a voice speaking to him. "Kubikiri Basara, all is not lost." He couldn't tell where this voice was coming from, as it seemed to come from all around him, and from within his head at once. He further couldn't tell if the voice was that of a man or woman, as it seemed to be both at once. Is this to be the next step? I'm going mad… At this though, Basara started to laugh. A soft giggle at first, and he was partly horrified at this. Kagaribi is dead, I have failed her, and I'm laughing?! Still, I can't help it! This is too absurd not to! His laughter grew louder and more fevered by the moment until he was laughing hysterically. "Basara," the voice continued, "there is little time for this." "W-w-what does it m-matter!" Basara replied between laughs. "My l-love is dead! I am d-dying!" "That is true, but perhaps you do not need to submit to this fate." This calmed him down enough to gain control over his laughter. "What… what do you mean? Is this some kind of trickery? The demon himself told me that I was done for, and that my soul would be his." "That is also true, and the soul of your wife will be his as well. There is one chance, however, but action must be taken, and it must be done quickly." "Why should I trust you, who, or whatever you are?" "You must, and that is all. If you do not, then you willingly submit to eternal tormen…" "LIFE WITHOUT KAGARIBI IS ETERNAL TORMENT!!!" "Then accept what is being offered, and take your revenge." This stirred a kind of morbid curiosity in his mind. He had not considered that vengeance might be had. "What offer is being made to me?" "Simply this: you return to life, and exact your revenge upon the demon that wrongfully took your life, and that of your wife. Put a stop to his murderous rampage. Do this, and you will be reunited with Kagaribi in Nirvana." "And what will occur if I fail?" "Then both your souls will be lost to the demon forever. Your torment will feed his unholy power, and he will become that much stronger." "I have failed once. Why should I believe I could overcome him a second time?" With that, an enormous triple bladed shurieken landed mere inches from his face, sinking into whatever this darkness was. Attached to it was a great length of chain with a wrist bracelet. "The demon-coward uses the length of his nodachi to his advantage. You will never overcome its length on your own, but this weapon may just make the difference. You will be granted almost supernatural control over its flight when thrown, and you will also become unnaturally fast and graceful." "You offer me speed and grace to battle a creature as powerful as that?!" "Judge not the usefulness of greater speed and accuracy. Used wisely, such abilities could overcome any adversary. Further, you will gain access and some control over this realm." "And what realm is this, may I ask?" "This is the realm between life and death. You will be able to use this realm to shift yourself from place to place. One of your creativity might also find a few more… interesting uses for it." "And what of Kagaribi while I attempt this chore? What will become of her?" "If you agree, then you will return to the living, therefore, Zankuro can make no claim to your soul. If you do take on this burden, then Kagaribi will be spared her torments until such time as you have completed your task." "Will she go to Nirvana, then?" "Only if you succeed; if you fail, she will suffer eternal torments… as will you. If you succeed, you shall be reunited. In the mean time, she will remain between realms. She may go where she chooses, but she will be all but lost to you." "And what do you gain by this?" "The suffering of countless souls is the sole handiwork of this demon. If you stop him, their suffering will end forever." Basara considered these words for some time, and then suddenly he reached out and grasped the bracelet and affixed it tightly around his wrist. The newfound strength he felt threw him into new peals of laughter. He rose to his feet, his wounds closing, but the ferocity of his laughter threw him back to his knees. For a good time, he could do no more than laugh and clutch his new weapon. Then, when he had a degree of control, he looked upward and an opening seemed to form in the blackness above him. By simply thinking it, he rose up out of the realm he now had control of, and he found himself standing in the same clearing. Kagaribi's body still lay motionless at the far end. Slowly he walked over to her still form, and gently cradled her in his arms. He lifted her and held her against his chest, all the while he silently begged her forgiveness… forgiveness he knew he did not deserve and would never receive.

*

      After a time, he buried her beneath a great tree, and carved her name into its bark. Using the new blade was far easier than he would have thought. It was extraordinarily heavy, but it almost seemed to respond directly to his thoughts as he flung it over and over at the trunk of the massive tree. When he finished, he offered up one final prayer to the spirits to watch over her soul, and to keep her safe. With that, he took up his blade once more, and began his journey…

*

      A ghostly form took shape at the base of the tree Basara had just left. It stayed a while, and then spoke. "Oh, my love… you did not fail me. You could not fail me so long as your love is true. May the spirits guide and protect you, Love, and may we be together again once more."


DISCLAIMER
"Samurai Shodown Forever" is a non-profit fan site. Samurai Shodown, Samurai Showdown, Samurai Spirits are Copyrights of SNK. Most of the images here are taken from SNK homepage. No part of this webpage may be reproduced in any form or by any means, without permission from C.K. Gan. This page is best view with I.E. 5 or Netscape 4 at 800*600